What is SMD Capacitor? How to check capacitor with multimeter? In this Lesson we have been told about What is SMD Capacitor and How to check capacitor by multimeter, Type of SMD capacitor, use of capacitor.
capacitor any After the resistor in the PCB, only the capacitor is seen the most. It is an electronic component, which stores electricity. Capacitor is also called condenser. Capacitor has an important role in any electronic circuit. So let us know about the capacitor in this section, what is a capacitor? What is capacitor and how to check capacitor with multimeter. how to check capacitor by multimeter.
What is Capacitor? What is capacitor
If a wire is removed from one of the plates by placing a non-conducting material between two metal plates, then the device made in this way is called a capacitor.
Capacitors act like a battery. It serves to store current. Just like the water stored in the tank can be withdrawn again. Similarly, the charges stored in capacitors can also be recovered. The function of capacitor is to store the electrical energy and to re-distribute the collected electrical energy.
This process of capacitors is called the charging-discharging process of capacitors. The capacity of a capacitor to store electricity is called the capacitance of the capacitor. The capacitance is denoted by the letter “C”. Capacitance is measured in Farad (F).
Functions of Capacitor
- The main function of capacitor is to pass AC and block DC.
- Capacitor rejects the bad signal and generates a new signal.
- It also performs the function of filtering the signal.
- The capacitor also filters the current and boosts the current.
Types of SMD Capacitors
There are two types of capacitors in PCB according to the polarity.
- Polarized Capacitor
- Non-Polarized Capacitor
(1) Polarized Capacitor – Capacitors that have Negative and Positive terminals. These are called Polarized Capacitors. While putting these capacitors in the circuit, special care has to be taken of negative and positive.
(2) Non-Polarized Capacitor – Capacitors that do not have Negative and Positive terminals. These are called non-polarized capacitors. How can these capacitors be installed.
how to check capacitor with multimeter?
To check the polarized capacitor, check it by keeping the Red Probe on Positive and the Black Probe on Negative. If the meter shows the value once and comes to 1 then the capacitor is correct. If beep comes then capacitor is short. If 1 shows then the capacitor is open.
The multimeter is set on beep mode, if any reading comes on touching the capacitor on both the probes of the multimeter, then the capacitor is correct. If the beep comes, the capacitor is short, and if the multimeter shows 1 then the capacitor is open.
Capacitor identification in PCB
Capacitor in PCB is brown in color. Capacitors are both small and large in size.