Definition of Memory Management in English :- Memory Management is a process of managing the information stored in the memory of the computer by the operating system (OS). The main purpose of memory management is to allocate the space of the computer’s primary memory or memory block of RAM to the program executing in the processor and organize these data in such a way that no space is wasted in it.
Memory management is one of the most important tasks performed by an operating system of a computer. In order to manage the memory, the OS monitors each part of the memory and sees where there is free space in the memory and how those places can be used.
Need of Memory Management in Hindi
Need of memory management in Hindi :- The main reason for doing memory management by OS in computer is as follows :-
- Using memory management, the operating system analyzes the computer’s memory to check how much free space is left in it and how a new program and its data should be stored in those free spaces.
- By this, the operating system ensures that the programs that have completed their execution free up the space occupied by them in memory so that the free space remains in the memory.
- Using memory management, it is ensured that the data of each computer program is stored by dividing it into separate memory blocks. So that the data of one program does not create any problem by unnecessarily affecting the data of other program.
- It helps the program executing in the CPU of the computer to establish an interrelationship with the data stored in the memory.
- As you know, for a program to be executed by the computer’s CPU, it is necessary to store both that program and the data used by it by bringing it to the computer’s primary memory i.e. RAM. But it is not necessary that there is always free space in the RAM to store a program, many times the memory space of RAM is misused for various reasons such as fragmentation etc.
- In this multiprogramming computer, many programs are being executed simultaneously, in such a situation it is very common to run out of memory space of RAM completely, to avoid this type of situation, operating system swapping is needed. Makes space for new programs in the primary memory by using technology. All this work also comes under memory management.
Memory Management Techniques used by an Operating System
- Contiguous memory allocation: – This is the most simple process of allocating memory, in which the primary memory of the computer is mainly divided into two parts, the first part is used by the operating system for its personal work. And in the second part, the second part is allocated to a single program. In this it is possible to execute only one program at a time, because in this memory only one program is stored at a time.
- Partitioned Allocation :- In this, RAM is divided into many different parts, but this part of each is of contiguous nature i.e. only one program can be stored in each of those parts.
- Paging: – This method divides the main memory of the computer into units of fixed size, which are called page frames. Here these things are taken care of, that the size of the program should be equal to the size of the page frame. So that a program can be stored in each page frame and the memory can be used better.
- Segmentation: – This is a very advanced type of memory management technique, in which the memory is divided into many small segments (segments), the size of each of these segments can be variable and different from each other. In each of these segments, a portion of the program is stored.
- Swapping:- The size of the primary memory of the computer is very limited and sometimes it fills completely, so that there is no space to store any new program in the memory. In view of this problem, the operating system uses the technique of Swapping and sends a program whose execution is currently paused for some time to the secondary storage or hard disk of the computer. This frees up the space of the primary memory and this free space is used by the operating system for any new program.
Advantages of memory management in Hindi
- This helps in using them in a better way without wasting the space of memory.
- It helps in multiprogramming the central processing unit by storing more and more programs and their data in the primary memory.
- Due to efficient memory management, the speed of accessing the data stored in the memory by the CPU increases so that the computer improves its performance by providing the output as quickly as possible.
- Using this, the operating system checks the suffix memory space and as soon as the execution of a program is completed, arrangements are made to free the memory space occupied by that program and store a new program at that place.
- It improves the performance of the computer’s memory i.e. random-access memory so that it can complete its work at a higher speed.
- Memory management protects the data of a program and prevents unauthorized communication of one program’s data with another program’s data and keeps them isolated from each other.
Conclusion Memory Management in OS It is an important function performed by the operating system of the computer, using which the operating system manages the memory of the computer and helps to store the programs and their data in the memory in a better way.
With the use of memory management, the operating system tries that no free part or space of the computer’s primary memory i.e. RAM is wasted at all and it can be used well by storing more and more programs in it at a time. It helps the CPU of the computer in multiprogramming so that the processing speed of the computer helps in displaying it to the user as quickly as possible.
At present, many advanced techniques have been developed to perform the task of memory management such as paging, swapping, segmentation etc. With the use of these techniques, good use of primary memory is possible.
In this article we have discussed about Memory Management System in simple Hindi language. In this we have discussed from the bed about the Definition, Need, Techniques, Advantages etc. of memory management.
Hope you liked this article written on Memory Management in Operating System in Hindi. If you want to give any suggestion or ask any question related to this article written on Memory Management in OS, then definitely tell by writing in the comment box below.