What is NIC? (Network Interface Card in Hindi)
The Network Interface Card (NIC) is a hardware component, without which the computer cannot be connected to the network or the internet. NIC is also known as Ethernet card, network adapter, LAN adapter or broadband card.
This network card allows your computer to connect to the internet using Ethernet cable. That cable is connected to a router or modem that connects your computer to the broadband.
Almost all new computers have a network interface card, which is directly connected to the motherboard.
It allows communication between computers through the local area network (LAN) as well as the Internet Protocol (IP).
Network Interface Card Type
There are mainly 2 types of Network Card;
- Internal network card
- External network card
Internal network card
The motherboard already has a slot for the network card, where the NIC can be inserted. The NIC is connected to the Ethernet cable using an RJ45 port. These network cards are of two types;
- Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI)
- Industry Standard Architecture (ISA)
External network card
For desktops and laptops which do not have internal NIC, external NIC is used for internet. There are also two types: Wireless and USB-based.
Wireless network card needs to be inserted into the motherboard. But no network cable is required to connect to the network.
Network Interface Card Components
- External Memory is used to store data temporarily and uses this data when needed while communicating.
- Connectors are used to create a physical link between the cables and the plugin along the board.
- MAC address is also known as physical address. This is a unique address, given to the network interface card, to exchange packets with the computer.
- Driver is a computer software to run any hardware. There is also a special driver for the network card that sends data between the computer OS and the NIC.
Hope you have liked the essential information given about Network Interface Card (What is NIC card). If you have any question or suggestion about NIC, then please comment by commenting.
I am the founder of this Hindi blog. Being a Computer Professional (MCA), I am interested in technology related subjects. My aim is to share good information related to Blogging, Make money, Computer and Internet to Hindi speaking people through this blog.